Monday, September 04, 2006

a Cannonball Run..

Ahh Monday mornings.. I think I've always got some kind of disclaimer in my head for the impending doom that I'm convinced will eventually come on one of these Monday mini bomb runs. Today, it was all the Gazpacho that I had last night. Lots and lots of it. Much more than any one human should consume in a 24hours period. Ahh Gazpacho, anyway.. Stumbling to the springs this morning and seeing the speedy trio of Paul and Floyd and Fletcher convinced me that today might just be that day. The scene was playing itself out in my head as we ran towards mopac. We'd run an 'easy' three miles that would leave me totally spent, then trying to climb Bouldin the Gazpacho would start to flow.. first in little garlicy burps gently reminding me of last night's dinner, then creamy little geysers in the back of my throat, and finally, huddled over at the top of Bouldin Creek Rd, I'd spew bright red soup out of my nose and mouth like a giant tomato slurpee dispenser. Those were the images playing out in my head... but the legs.. the legs were loose.. feeling good, and never once did they complain. I'm not sure what the pace was but I know we picked it up a bit as we reached Bouldin. I stayed with Paul who was taking it easy, Fletcher and Floyd were just ahead of us, slowly increasing the gap. Dave V. and Pat behind us. Before I knew it we were heading down Robert E. Lee towards the finish line and a cold dip in the springs. Total distance was just over seven. A little shorter than the last time we did this run. Afterwards I felt great... Almost like I hadn't run. My only complaint was that I didn't push harder at any point in the run. This is supposed to be speed work for me.. Hard training.. Pushing some kind of internal envelope.. What the shit am I doing taking it easy. I didn't breathe heavy once today. I should feel totally spent right now as I write this, not contemplating a second run for the day. Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow and do a long one.. in the rain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home