Monday, September 11, 2006

pushing the envelope.

We did a new route today for the sparkler run. A mini homage to the 2007 marathon. Thanks Google Maps. It's so easy to plan good runs with that thing. As usual we started at the Springs.. from there we took the trail clockwise to Congress Ave..then headed south on Congress to W. Annie. Mile two of the new marathon course. Seems like the brief downhill on Congress followed by a good uphill in the first two miles of the marathon really set the tone for the remainder of the course. It's gonna be tough. So by the time we reach Congress we were picking up the tempo and climbing pretty hard. Turning onto West Annie I was expecting a little break but that's a climb too. Maybe not so much as Congress, but after the first climb it was tough. Finishing that short stretch, we turned onto Bouldin heading North where we roll downhill all the way back to town lake. Then it's a quick mile or so back to the springs. Fletcher kept the pace 'brisk' and on the many occasions that I felt like getting off the gas he'd talk me through it. Each time I'd surprise myself by maintaining the solid pace, working through the urge to slow down and keeping good form in the process. I am taking great liberties here with the term 'good form'. The whole run was a huge confidence booster for me. I kept a strong pace, ignored the little voices in my head, and finished with plenty of gas in the tank. And all of this after a great 22 miler just two days before. Thanks Fletcher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home